I had my lookbook printed at the same place as my Clockwork Orange book cover was printed.
I really liked the way my beer label photos came out so I set up the lookbook in the same place. I scattered the desk with dried petals which made the display look more interesting.
I found a greetings card box with a window that I thought would be perfect to keep my book safe. The window means that the cover is visible through the box so I wouldn’t have to worry about what the box had on the front.
I took some photos of the book to show the overall design, and then some detail shots. The petals really work well with the images because they’re bright and contrast against the black, but also the colours of the petals represent the tones of the photos and the dress colours.
I decided that I would include the digital files of each spread of the book. There didn’t seem to be much point in photographing photographs.
I wanted the book spreads to match the rest of the photoshoot, so I created a petal border from some of the photos I took. I kept the background dark to mimic the photoshoot background and also to make the colours pop out.
When I placed one of my double page spreads over the petals, it looked pretty tacky. The petals looked really odd and it looked a bit gimmicky. The petals were also too distracting from the photos and take away the focus somewhat.
Even when I lowered the opacity of the petals they still didn’t look right.
Even the black border looked pretty unnecessary – especially as my book doesn’t even have borders.
I decided that the best way to display the book pages is just to show how they are, with no gimmicks or other unnecessary elements.