While I was waiting for the fabric samples to arrive, I started working on drawing the print design. I decided to draw each part separately and quite large (for me) to make sure the detail was big enough.
I also used an onion and a apple (I didn’t have a pomegranate but still needed something round) because I needed a reference for rope ties. I experimented with different knots and different ways of tying the fruit/vegetables together.
For the second print samples I will be ordering with the chiffon fabric I chose, I scanned in part of the drawings I did. I used levels to edit the brightness/contrast of the drawing to make the drawing look neat. I also used the eraser tool to get rid of smudges to clean up the design.
To add colour, I selected multiply on the sketch. Each different colour is on a different layer underneath the sketch.
This is what the colour layers under the sketch look like.
The flat colour underneath the sketches. Previously I had tested the ideas of using shading/digital painting, but the flat colour actually looks really effective. Because of the pencil shading, there isn’t really a need to use digital painting for the colour. The design would be overcomplicated with too much going on for the colour.
This is what the colours and pencil drawings look like on a dark background. I’m so happy with how this experiment turned out, as I was worried about how the colours would turn out with the pencil drawings, but thankfully it looks really effective and I’m happy to leave it as it is. I now need to finish the rest of the design in this way.