From the different photos of Asmat ancestor skulls I collected, I did a few sketches of the different shapes and types of ties I saw on the skulls, as well as some of the bead and shell decorations. These will function as a reference for when I draw the final images.
I then sketched a few rope ideas over the top of the pattern I made previously.
I needed a colour that was different to all the other colours in the design. I wanted a brownish colour to reflect the rope colours. I chose a darker shade than the tulip colour and ran it over the top of the other ones to see how it would look. I felt that this colour stood out over the other ones so I was happy so far.
I then tried it on the pattern. I think this colour was a good match – the rope detail will stand out enough and as I mentioned, it has brownish undertones which reflects the colours of the ropes on the skulls.
I also took a few photos of some dried flowers tied up with ropes. Reproducing the look of ropes tied around the fruits isn’t terribly difficult, as they are circular like the skulls. However, I wasn’t sure how I wanted some of the flowers to look tied up, so I experimented with some ideas and took photos.
I experimented with rope tying around single plants as well as ways to tie plants together.
I’m really happy with how this idea/concept is progressing. It now feels that this new imagery of the ropes is another layer of meaning and also makes the pattern visually more interesting and unusual.