Drawings and Pattern Testing

Based on the photos I took of the dead roses, I did a couple more drawings of flower heads, leaves and petals.

 

Screen Shot 2016-03-13 at 12.57.43

The first few drawings I did didn’t turn out quite right – they were a bit too dark and not delicate enough.

 

Screen Shot 2016-03-11 at 14.54.29Screen Shot 2016-03-11 at 14.54.47Screen Shot 2016-03-11 at 14.54.58Screen Shot 2016-03-11 at 14.55.13

 

I then created a composition in Photoshop using the scanned in drawings. I wanted to create something chaotic and confusing, but I wanted to try doing a pattern that wasn’t symmetrical for once.
Screen Shot 2016-03-09 at 22.38.21

Screen Shot 2016-03-09 at 23.08.01

The removed the background because it makes the drawings easier to work with.

 

I then wanted to experiment with some colour, so I turned one of my photographs of the roses into a mosaic, to borrow colours from.

Screen Shot 2016-03-11 at 14.59.46

Screen Shot 2016-03-09 at 23.07.33

I created some layers underneath the drawing (which I set to ‘multiply’) and I used the brush tool to paint the colours underneath. I tried to create some sense of depth with the flat colour using different shades of the muted purple colours.

 

Screen Shot 2016-03-09 at 23.07.38

Screen Shot 2016-03-09 at 23.07.47

The colours looked best on the dark background, as they stand out quite effectively.

 

Screen Shot 2016-03-11 at 15.02.35

Screen Shot 2016-03-11 at 15.04.09

As I thought that the colours were looking a little bit too flat, I tried to paint using the brush tool over the flat colours I’d done. Although I think this looks a little better, I’m still not happy with how this looks so I will need to experiment with digitally painting colours some more.

 

I also made another pattern using the original composition, it isn’t a tiled pattern but thee is a possibility that I could easily turn it into one if I decide I like the way this looks. I think this kind of subject matter looks better in a chaotic style as opposed to something more ordered/simple.

Screen Shot 2016-03-11 at 14.27.07

 

I experimented with a few different colourings, including negative/inverted. The first experiment looks almost like an xray. It works really well but I wouldn’t be able to add any colour to this pattern. I do however like the white flowers on the dark background – I feel like it makes the detail in the flowers stand out more.

Screen Shot 2016-03-11 at 14.26.48

Screen Shot 2016-03-11 at 14.26.59

Screen Shot 2016-03-11 at 14.27.28

I also used some of the same colours in the painting test. I felt that the design looked a little strange with the leaves in the same colour as the flowers.

Screen Shot 2016-03-11 at 14.28.19

Using layers, multiply and layer masks, I coloured each flower separately. I also used a gradient on the pattern to give it a sense of depth, because I still feel like the colours are a little flat.

Screen Shot 2016-03-11 at 14.33.19

Screen Shot 2016-03-11 at 14.47.18

Screen Shot 2016-03-11 at 14.47.53

These last experiments were just experimentations with colours, I’m not thrilled with these results as I don’t feel that they work particularly well with the imagery, as the detail isn’t bold/visible enough.

Screen Shot 2016-03-11 at 14.49.41

Screen Shot 2016-03-11 at 14.50.41

Screen Shot 2016-03-11 at 14.51.26

Screen Shot 2016-03-11 at 14.53.11

 

I think this test was a good idea, it had given me some things to think about for the final print I create. I will need to think carefully about composition and also about how I will colour the drawings as well, so they’re not so flat looking.
Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s